Disclaimer: I don't own this article. It's from Seventeen Philippines Mag's May 2008 issue. LOL. I thought some peepz would be interested in reading this.
First of all, what is cheating?
20% say regularly talking, texting, or IMing with someone other than your BF / GF.
25% say flirting with someone other than your BF / GF.
66% say hanging out with someone other than your BF / GF (and then lying about it).
90% say kissing someone other than your BF / GF.
99% say intercourse with someone other than your BF / GF.
Why do people cheat?
- Peer Pressure: His single friends want him to be one of the guys - so in order to get their approval, he has to show them that he's a player.
- Fear of Confrontation:He wants to break up with his girl but doesn't want the drama - so he cheats and hopes she'll find out. (It seems easier than talking over!)
- The Thrill: It makes him feel good to be able to get another girl to like him (even if someone already does!) - and he isn't too afraid of getting caught.
- Craving Closeness: She doesn't feel like her boyfriend is opening up to her lately, so she hooks up with someone to get the intimacy she needs.
- Revenge: She's angry at her boyfriend, so she hooks up with another guy to get back at him and prove that she could have any guy she wants.
- Attention: She's secretly worried that guys don't find her attractive, so hooking up (temporarily) makes her feel better about herself.
How to survive the drama of cheating:
Step 1: Have a reality check.
Realize that it's not you, it's him. He didn't hook up with someone because she's prettier or has something you don't - he did it because he lacks emotional maturity. He can't handle the intensity of being in a relationship.
Step 2: Wallow in it.
Hibernate. Cry. Eat ice cream. It's okay to feel sad because, after a while, you'll want to feel happy again and forget about him.
Step 3: Get mad.
Let your rage out in an e-mail, then delete it! Unleashing the anger helps you to move on.
Step 4: Go out!
Hit the mall, the movies - just get your mind off him. Your self-worth doesn't center around your relationship. So it's time to show the world a new, stronger you!